This message was just received from Eric. It details some of the events of the day. Note that Homburg is 7 hours ahead of Tulsa, OK.
4 PM Homburg Germany - It appears after ongoing review of Coleman’s case, that his liver failure was NOT caused by Leukemia (though he clearly does have leukemia which has caused many problems on its own). No cause has become apparent at this time for the liver failure which he clearly had when he showed up in Germany. The cause is important because it might establish other treatment protocols.
Coleman specifically has VOD – Veno-Occlusive Disease – which is the small blood vessels of the liver being blocked or clotted off. VOD is rare and seen in persons who have had bone marrow transplants and radiation (as one receives in cancer therapy). The Activated Protein C was prescribed as a means to open these up – again it is a “late stage” pharmaceutical. Today Coleman began kidney dialysis – which was expected to happen. One other item of note, he has highly elevated Ferritin levels (iron) which they do not understand.
5 PM I returned to the hospital from the hotel (Belinda was already there). The doctors had concern about bleeding around the brain, so he was examined by CT scan – while he does have some edema, there is no bleeding. A document has been sent to the German courts to allow me to make life threatening procedural decisions on Coleman’s behalf. This is due to the doctor’s desire to do a liver biopsy through a vein – a risky procedure but the only option to get a glimpse of what may be causing Coleman’s liver to shut down. The document to allow me this authority takes a full business day so it will be day after tomorrow before we receive it due to the late hour of its submission. Again Coleman is at another “last option” juncture – but we are thankful for any hope and these doctors would not be doing it if they didn’t think there was a chance. It is clearly not how they work.
6 PM The post below this one, requesting immediate prayer was the result of Coleman’s doctor coming in and informing us that Coleman was not responding properly to the dialysis – his vitals necessitated the use of drugs to get his blood pressure and certain blood elements back in line that he clearly explained he could not keep giving beyond a certain level … “there is no sense” were the exact words and “it does not look good”. We went in and prayed and Belinda read him the many posts he has received on this site.
6:30 PM The doctor came in and his condition had improved – which the doctor was quick to point out was neither cause for celebration nor grief – but that his condition needs to be continually stabilized – not just in “brackets” of time. Regardless we give thanks for this small victory. We were asked to leave the room for about an hour while they did the “maintenance” on him and I am writing this from the waiting room.
7:50 PM Please continue to pray for Coleman – he is struggling hard. Pray for his body to stabilize long enough for the biopsy to occur and analysis of the liver tissue to result in meaningful information that will lead to better results.
Thank you all for praying without ceasing - though Coleman cannot respond being fully sedated and resting peacefully on the outside, we feel confident he hears our words and the prayers and posts that we read to him from this site. Don’t give up on Coleman – what he lacked in size he made up for in mean. Hang with him now.