1:20 PM – Homburg, Germany
A week ago Friday when we arrived, we were informed Coleman might not survive the weekend – but miraculously he is still with us.
This is his current medical status. His breathing remains improved – however his lactate levels continue to rise which may indicate that the function of other organs (or all) are declining. His circulation / blood pressure is very problematic and still being maintained by vaso-active pharmaceuticals. His blood coagulation and bleeding are a constant battle. His liver is still in failure.
Lastly is his leukemia. While initially arrested, the doctors feel will return very rapidly.
The doctors absolutely do not know the cause of his liver failure. While I was writing this update, intending to explain again the need for the biopsy to aid in determining the cause, and to ask for prayer in this regard, the doctor came into the waiting room with the papers to sign to immediately set the wheels in motion to do the biopsy and to expedite the evaluation of the results which normally takes 6-7 days.
The oncologist is still with Coleman as we speak to determine if they should start a new, stronger round of chemotherapy or wait. The concern that the leukemia will return, may result in the oncologist suggesting a heavy dose of chemotherapy be started immediately. The problem with this is that the chemotherapy will further assault the liver – a Catch 22 situation.
Coleman is again at a critical juncture with time and odds against him by all medical standards, but yet again, here in this stark waiting room we experienced a miracle.
Please urgently pray for Coleman’s strength, pray for improvement in the areas we have listed above and please thank God for doctors with open minds and tenacity. The biopsy procedure is not without risk in itself – he must be transported (off life support temporarily), there is risk of infection, etc – but these pale when compared to the alternative.
Please pray for the procedure itself and the clarity of the results